09 Jul White bean vegetarian shakshuka recipe with feta
This delightful Middle Eastern vegetarian shakshuka recipe is perfect for an easy dinner or brunch. The baked eggs combined with the tomatoes and cannellini beans are a taste sensation. If you love middle eastern spices in a rich tomato sauce, you will love this recipe. As it is all cooked in one pot, it is very easy to put together. The different forms of healthy proteins will keep you satisfied until breakfast (or dinner).
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- ½ head of kale, destemmed and leaves torn or chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp of paprika (smoked or sweet)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 50 g of feta - crumbled
- 4 free range organic eggs
- Coriander leaves to serve
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius (375 F)
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add onion and cook slowly until very soft and translucent (about 8 - 10 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for another minute or until fragrant. Add the chopped kale cover and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, or until wilted.
- Add the tomatoes, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and chilli flakes. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, then add the cannellini beans and cook until heated through. Stir through the feta cheese and remove from heat.
- Crack eggs into the casserole dish over the tomatoes, then transfer the casserole dish to the oven to cook for 7 - 10 minutes, or until the eggs are just set. Sprinkle with coriander and serve.
Tell me what you think about this delicious winter vegetarian recipe that is also low carb! I have never tried a vegetarian shakshuka recipe before, but I must say I was delighted about how delicious and satisfying this dish turned out!